top of page


After many years of being able to stay in Spain as long as we like, often living under the radar, the net has finally closed for our expat community following Britain’s exit from the EU.

Life in Spain has now changed for ever for those people, and also for anyone entering Spain from the UK for either a holiday or to live. Gone are the days of soaking up that Mediterranean sunshine whilst remaining tax resident in the UK or another country.

So, let’s consider your options … in this article I’m going to explain the Non-Lucrative Visa.

This type of residency is granted initially for one year and is renewable for a further two years, and a final two years (giving the holder the ability to reside in Spain on this basis for up to five years). Anyone wishing to stay longer will then need to apply for permanent residency.


Your family can come to Spain too by applying for a joint visa. Unmarried partners who can prove a long-term relationship can also apply as dependants.

  • You will enjoy freedom of movement within the Schengen area for up to 90 days without needing another Visa.

  • It may be possible to work remotely for a foreign company from Spain under this permit, but this is definitely a grey area and some consulates and embassies are hesitant on this. Sometimes, an application may be refused if the applicant intends to continue working for a foreign company from Spain. Ironically this type of visa is marketed on the basis that you are able to work remotely, or continue to run a business outside of Spain but spend most of your time in Spain! One of its main characteristics is that it does not allow you to carry out any type of economic or professional activity in Spain. In other words, you cannot work for any company operating in the country. It has a non-profit nature.

Application Requirements:

  • Proof of sufficient periodic income, including but not limited to: investments, annuities, sabbaticals and any other source of income, providing sufficient funds to live in Spain without working. The minimum income required is 400% of the IPREM (Public Income Index) annually (€27,115.20 for 2021) plus the required percentage per each additional family member. This is the minimum, but I suggest you have a bit more than that if you would like to have a successful application. The IPREM is an index used in Spain as a reference for the granting of aid, grants or unemployment benefit. For further information about the current IPREM, please follow this link

  • Private Health Insurance taken out with a Spanish Company including repatriation coverage (not an international policy taken out with a non-Spanish Company). The policy must be comprehensive and cannot be set up on a ‘co-payment’ basis where you are required to make a contribution to any health care costs and it must cover the whole Spanish territory.

  • Proof of accommodation. You must provide one of the following documents:

  • Lease (rental contract) of a minimum of one year with a ‘Nota Simple’ issued in the last 3 months by requested by the owner (In Spanish or translated into Spanish)

  • Title deed of property (Escritura). (In Spanish)

  • You must apply from outside of Spain before arrival, through the Consulate in your home country.

  • You cannot be a citizen of the EU.

  • You will need a criminal record certificate from countries where you have lived in the last 5 years.

  • Medical Certificate with Doctor’s Stamp (in Spanish or translated into Spanish. A recent doctor’s statement (not older than 3 months in doctor’s or medical centre’s letterhead) indicating that you have been examined and found free of any contagious diseases according to the International Health Regulation 2005.

What if a non-lucrative visa application is denied?

You can reapply if you can correct the errors that led to the refusal. You can also appeal the decision to the Spanish courts but the judgement may take several years.

What else do you need to do once you have your Non-lucrative visa?

Once you have your visa you will be allowed to enter Spain freely. And you must do so within a maximum of 3 months. It won’t be necessary to obtain the NIE number once in Spain. This identification comes stamped on your visa.

However, once in Spain, within a maximum period of one month you must register in the municipality where you will be living, and go to a police station, register your fingerprints, and receive the TIE or foreigner’s identity card.

We do not process applications for a non-lucrative visa, but we can ensure that you have considered all options of residency that may be suitable for your particular situation.

If you would like assistance from us please contact

Speed Financial Solutions are a highly qualified financial services provider looking after clients throughout Spain and the UK. We provide a discreet and comprehensive service to individuals, and our service is tailored to suit your needs taking advantage of tactical opportunities as they arise in respect of your pension planning. We seek innovative solutions for our clients and employ our skills, based on many years of experience, to apply tax legislation to your advantage. Our relationships are built on trust and mutual respect. We are ready to answer your questions, giving you the confidence you want when dealing with a sensitive issue such as discussing your pensions, investments and savings.

Our Principal, Andrea Speed, is a qualified Discretionary Investment Manager specialising in Investment and Risk, Taxation and Trusts, and a qualified Pension Specialist. Andrea is also a Fellow of the Chartered Insurance Institute (CII), which is the world’s largest professional body for insurance and financial services in the world.

Fellowship is the highest qualification awarded by the CII and is universally regarded as the premier qualification. It is a major achievement in the financial industry and demonstrates the acquisition of skills and knowledge at the highest of levels. Along with a Fellowship, Andrea is a CII Chartered Financial Planner.

Please take a look at our website –

For further information contact us on Tel 951 315 271 or 951 318 529

We are happy to discuss your own situation in more detail. One of our advisers would be pleased to spend some time with you either in your home or at our office to review your current savings, investments and pensions, so do call to make an appointment. Our Financial Review is completely free of charge and without obligation. Follow us on Facebook for regular updates.

The contents published are not recommendations or decision aids for your investment decisions and they do not constitute any type of advice. We are not tax advisers and independent tax advice should always be sought.

Andrea J Speed FPFS (DM), M.A.

Principal, Fellow and Chartered Financial Planner

Speed Financial Solutions

27 May 2021

16 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page